Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You Tube Video Link and Response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OencZ31uf4&mode=related&search=


One of my other classes is a public speaking class. Anyone who has taken public speaking understands the nerves involved to take a subject and then get up in front of a bunch of people and talk. I found this news clip on conquering the fear of public speaking and I thought it was very interested and useful. In fact, I might email it to my teacher. One of the things said in this clip is that people expect to be scared because that is how it is portrayed by the media. Most people also associate fear with the butterflies in their stomach when in fact it is the adrenaline pumping to give them more energy to complete the task. If a person freezes as they are about to give their speech, they should talk themselves through it. Asking yourself the outcome is a good way to get back on track. Practicing is the best way to get over the nerves. By practicing, it allows for better understanding of the subject. This clip triggered another piece of good advice that I heard. I was told to practice speaking in front of a mirror to help with the ease of speaking the speech. It not only helps with nerves but also allows you to see what you look like while talking and you can adjust certain things before speaking in front of other people. I think this clip is really good and I plan on taking the advice offered. Public speaking is already difficult and conquering that fear is half the battle. If I can get up and speak without shaking visibly, I will be so happy and feel like I have accomplished something.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Great post!

Do you know how to turn links like the one to your YouTube vid into hyperlinks? It makes it easier for your readers because instead of cutting and pasting, they can just click and be taken to the desired page.

Go here to learn how to do that.