Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Proofreading

I am my worst critic. It doesn’t matter what I write, whether an email at work or a paper for English class, I hate to publish mistakes. I have always been this way even as a child. Usually when I write, I will re-read what I have written at least three times and then I will read it out loud. If I am still unsure, I will ask someone to proof read my work and see if I missed any errors I made. I think it probably irritates me more than the person reading my work if there is a mistake in it (unless it is a mistake from a rule I didn’t know about). I decided to try reading one of my blogs backwards and found a couple of missing commas…grrrrrr! With a large paper such as the research paper we are working on, I always print out a copy to read later. I find that printing it out and seeing a cold hard copy makes the mistakes just spring out on the page. Again, I also have someone such as my husband proofread for me and find any grammar mistakes or sentences that don’t sound right in the paragraph. My husband has been a great help in the proofreading area.