Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mandatory Organ Donation

So the solution is to make organ donation automatic unless you opt out. I like it. I think it is effective. Those that are adverse to organ donation can fill out a form to decline. In reading this article, I also thought of those who might come from a religious faith that does not believe in organ donation. I’m sure there is one out there somewhere. These people can also opt out of the program. By giving the option of opting out, this saves many legal battles later on from people who do not want to participate. Coming from someone who has gone through kidney problems and almost lost one, I think this solution is really great. I know that I would have been very low on a long list to receive a donated kidney. With this program, I might have had a much better chance of receiving one. I think the person did a great job of showing both sides of the issue while maintaining their position. The target audience is all adults because organ donation can affect everyone. I don’t think that everyone will agree with this even though the writer has proposed an opt out option for those who are adverse to it. I do believe that the solution provided is good enough to satisfy both sides of the position. The writer gives a lot of statistics and facts which is good because the reader can then make a very educated decision as to whether they agree with this writer or disagree. I’m not sure if the solution of mandatory organ donation would work. I think this would cause a lot of problems. I am not opposed to it but I think many others would be and I can see how some could see this as an infringement on their rights. So I really think that the opt out program is the best solution.

No comments: